April 6, 2008

Spring break

While I didn't go anywhere typical for spring break this year, Rick and I did get the chance to go to Seattle for three days together, sans children!! We had a wonderful time! We stayed at the University Inn in the U district. It was perfect. They shuttle you into downtown for free and pick you up whenever you want! They are right in the heart of University of Washington territory, so we walked up and down University Ave.

We ended at Dad Watson's, a McMenamin's restaurant in Fremont, for dinner that night. BTW, if you have never eaten/stayed/watched a movie at a McMenamins joint, you MUST! They renovate old/abandoned buildings into these incredible establishments, and on top of that brew amazing beer and make great food. It's a must if you live in Washington or Oregon. After dinner, we actually got to go sit in an Irish pub for a couple hours and chat over pints of Smithwicks...

On Wednesday, we headed to downtown to walk ALL over. Everything we go to Seattle, we do the same thing - Pacific Place, Pike's Place Market, Waterfront, etc. So we decided to mix it up a little. We still did those places, but we zigzagged up and down the streets and found some hole-in-the-walls that we love. One is Pike Place Chowder in Post Alley off the Market. Rick has decided they have the BEST clam chowder of ALL time. He says it is the perfect blend of seasonings and tastes, that it is his all-time favorite chowder. We will be visiting there every Seattle trip from here on out... yes, it was THAT good. Rick also found quite a few good cigars shops that he choose to use his spending money at :-) We ended up finding this quaint sitting area in the middle of Pioneer Square with a waterfall and beautiful trees in bloom. These are a couple pictures I took there:

After we rested there for awhile, we decided it was time to head to dinner... we tried a new place for us, the Taphouse Grill. This place was crazy - over 160 beers on tap! I actually tested out waitresses knowledge of the beers, and I have to say, she did a great job! We ended our night relaxing at the hotel since it started SNOWING! What?! Yeah, I know... spring break.

Our last day (actually morning) was spent browsing in IKEA, dreaming of the day we can have our OWN house again to play with. We look forward to that day :-)

We met my parents for lunch, and to pick up our precious cargo... We celebrated Taylor's birthday with them at Claim Jumpers, and headed back home... we had a wonderful time!

I look forward to the next getaway with my best friend. Aren't vacations so much better spent with your best friend? I am grateful I have one I love to spend my time with. I am blessed... Ok, enough sap!

No comments:

www.flickr.com