April 13, 2008

A Cow's WHAT?

When our kids little started using words, we decided when it came to the "privates" and "potty" we would use the real words to describe them. Seems like a silly thing to decide, but all parents must decide at some point, because the questions are BOUND to come...

Bring us forward to present time. As Maddie and Taylor start school and are around other children, there is a lot of "talk" in our house about privates, who can look, who can't, why we don't talk about them with our friends, etc. Most of this discussion is with Maddie. She is right at the age where it is all so interesting... yeah, I know. (big sigh...)

Recently, they have begun to ask why they don't get to take baths together anymore. I have to explain that they aren't allowed to see each others privates, teach modesty, etc. So in discussions with her, when talking about privates, we use the V-word. I should have known someone else was listening...

Yesterday at breakfast, while Rick was mid-bite of cereal, Taylor exclaimed: "Hey Mom. That's the cow's v.... (insert the word)..." WHAT? I looked at Rick, clearly about to choke, then turned and asked my sweet son to kindly repeat what he'd just said (lest I heard incorrectly)... to which he gladly repeated, "That's the cow's v...." Please take a close look at the spoon and the cow...
I had no idea I would be discussing a woman's anatomy with my four year old son. I had to explain that wasn't what he thought it was. I continued that that was where the milk came from... oh boy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait until they're in seventh grade and reading aloud about "organisms"! Tee hee!! :-)

Jessica said...

hilarious. yes, we are having those same discussion in our home at this present time. interesting, to say the least.

Anonymous said...

So we also decided to use the proper names... at this point my 7 year old son almost always still says 'tunis', and sweet Keston is sure to remind us 'don't see my gina, it's private!' PS - Poor Taylor!!

www.flickr.com