April 14, 2008

It must be tough being a boy...

Every Monday, Rick and Taylor come to my school to have lunch with me and the other "nurses." We sit in the cafeteria, and hang out for an hour before they go off to get Maddie... Today turned out a bit different than the rest.

Taylor, being the boy he is, was playing around, turning circles, getting dizzy, etc... except he fell into the concrete wall and gashed his forehead open - again! The first time was a couple years ago on our brick fireplace - right side of the forehead (7 stitches).

Today, LEFT side of the forehead, 4 stitches...
You wouldn't know he was hurt by looking at these pictures. That is because Tylenol works wonders... He was fine hanging out with us in the waiting room. He looks so funny with that big gauze holding him together!
This was our almost 3 hour wait in the ER before he even got seen... boo!
This picture was after the most traumatic event known to my son, and possibly me. First of all, the ER nurse said it was hospital policy that only ONE person could accompany the patient. When I questioned that announcement in astonishment that we were his parents, she said blankly, it's hospital policy. You can imagine that didn't go over well with us.

He screamed more than I've ever known him to scream. The Nurse Practioner was not very thoughtful, nor did she listen to my requests for a conscious sedation for the procedure. She all but insisted we wrap him up in a blanket and hold him down. He kept crying/screaming that it hurt, but she kept saying he wasn't in pain, just angry that he was being held down. I wanted to scream at her, "don't tell me what my son is or isn't feeling!" I have to tell you it was awful. I am not pleased with my local ER today, and I think a letter of complaint will soon be drafted... It is a very sad day for me, knowing that these kind of insensitive medical personnel exist - a profession I hold in such high regards, obviously.

Word to the wise - advocate for your child/self when/ if you have to go to the ER. MAKE them listen to you and your wishes... a lesson very hard learned for me today.

1 comment:

LizaT said...

Absolutely agree with you, Karyn! Given all the madness we went through with doctors (and "well meaning adults") this past year, I've come to be a fantastic advocate for my kiddos. Your heartwrenching description brought me back to those days (cue: tears in the eyes!). Sorry you had to go through that - probably nothing worse in the world that seeing your kid in pain and knowing that it has to be done. Oh!!! (and then, fast forward to your next post about not getting any anesthesia!!).

You go, girl...

www.flickr.com