August 12, 2007

One of my happy places....

The Bellingham Farmer's Market!

Well, any farmer's market for that matter.

I don't know what it is about the FM, but I LOVE it. I feel like such a part of great community. I feel like I am doing something to help out my Bellingham peeps by buying local. More than that, I love taking my kids and showing them all the beautiful things that come from God's creation. The summer produces such gorgeous colored veggies and fruits, not to mention tasty. We go and slowly browse through the stands, gazing at the splendid colors. It's usually the same every week with a few changes as new veggies come into season, but I truly love being there.
Look at all that healthy stuff!

The flowers are also so exquisite, and their colors are so brilliant!

This booth must be avoided at all costs! But look how delish all the sweets look?

This is one of my favorite booths... She sells ALL KINDS of mint - pineapple mint, chocolate mint, orange mint, ginger mint. You name it, she probably has it!

I threw this picture in because it is the story of my life. No matter WHERE it is, if there is a water fountain, my children become incredibly parched and HAVE to drink from the fountain!! Suddenly they're like camels. Oh well, at least they won't be dehydrated!

My favorite place at the FM is called Ralf's Bavarian Bakery. Ralf's wife, Heidi, is the sales women. She is always dressed so adorable in the traditional Bavarian garb. They serve huge bavarian pretzel twists, long baked pretzel sticks with nutella (chocolate hazelnut) spread, cheese pretzel sticks, and delish pretzel bun sandwiches with cream cheese and salami. They are SO good that you really need to eat two or three.

If you are ever in a town that has a community farmer's market, support your local growers!!

2 comments:

LizaT said...

Wow! It's breakfast time here on the East Coast... and for some reason, I'm craving vegetables and sweet pastries.... :) What beautiful pictures, Karyn! -Liza

Marjie said...

Hi Karyn, it's me...it feels strange and exciting to be here on your blog. I came to find out info about Chicago and future Northwest bands, etc., only to get caught up in the Bellingham farmer's market. I want the pretzel with nutella, all of the mint plants and all of the baked goods in the pictures. OK, on to find out more now...

www.flickr.com