January 11, 2007

An honorable experience

I watched a man die a couple days ago. He was really sick, suffering from a stroke several years ago that left his entire left side unusable, and wanted to die. I had no idea I would be one of two people there watching him take his last breath and sharing in the experience of his passing.

As a nursing assistant, I know this will become a fairly regular part of my job. That being said, I don't think I was prepared for how to actually deal with it. When I arrived at work, his breathing was very fast and crackly - they call it the "death rattle". Typically when you hear that, they are fairly close to death. His fever was so high, there wasn't much we could do but make him comfortable.

I kept going in to check on him, and suddenly, his breathing started laboring longer and longer between breaths. I decided to change his gown, give him a cold bed bath to cool him down and make him more comfortable, then reposition him. While his friend stepped out to make some calls, I started to pray for him.

"Lord, please take him to be with you. Let him be finally free from this pain. Lord, on his behalf, I ask that you would accept him into your eternal presence."

"It's ok... you can go..."

Two minutes later, he died.

We were not sure at first if he had truly gone because there had been such long pauses in between his breaths, but I saw the pulse in his neck slow, slow, slow... then finally stop. My hand was on his chest, the other hand holding his. I felt my entire body shiver with chills, and immediately felt the need to start praying thanks. I hoped that his friend would not be offended, and as I prayed, she contributed bits and pieces.

"Thank you God that he is no longer in pain. Thank you that he has new legs and that he is finally dancing again. Praise you Lord for your faithfulness."

As I got his body ready to go to the funeral home, I felt my emotions finally starting to creep up. I thought they would show up sooner, but it was only when I was finally alone that I let myself cry. As I cried for him, it started to snow. God has a wonderful way of letting us know He hears us.

It was an honor to be with him in his last hours, minutes, seconds. It is something I will never forget. How quickly life can be taken from us.

2 comments:

Brian Bowker said...

Wow. Powerful! I think God really used you this day.

Patrick and Bree said...

I am so bummed that I missed our CTE dinner. I always look forward to catching up with everyone. Thanks for thinking of me with the show. It was so much fun!!

Bree

www.flickr.com