September 16, 2013

Rosemary-kissed Orange Thumbprint Cookies


Lately, I have been on a cooking/baking-from-Pinterest spree... It's been so fun finding new recipes and actually trying them! Granted, most of the over 2000 pins on my boards will never be realized by my hands, I love feeling creative and productive with something new. 

This recipe, however, was not from Pinterest, although it's probably out there somewhere. I got this deliciousness from a Christmas cookie exchange I went to several years ago. My sister and I still talk about how savory and scrumptious these cookies were. Well, tonight, I finally decided to try them... 

Oh. My. I'm in big trouble when I weigh in at Weight Watchers this week! Surely there is a lower fat recipe for these, but the melty buttery goodness is not substitutable! (is that even a word?) Chilling the dough was a key factor, as well as using parchment paper on the cookie sheet. Hope you enjoy them!

Rosemary-kissed Orange Thumbprint Cookies

Prep: 30 min. Bake: 14-16 min. Chill: 1 hr. 
Oven: 325*F

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch 
1 tsp. snipped fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
Few drops almond OR vanilla extract
1/4 cup orange marmalade
Powdered sugar to sift on cookies after baked

1. In a small bowl stir together the flour, cornstarch, rosemary, and salt; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium-high for 30 seconds. Add 1/3 cup powdered sugar and extract and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and beat until combined. Wrap and chill dough for 1 hour or until easy to handle. 

2. Preheat oven rot 325*F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats; set aside. Shape dough into twenty-four 1 inch balls. Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Use thumb to make indentations in each cookie. Spoon about 1/2 tsp. marmalade into center of each. 

3. Bake 14-16 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets. Remove and cool completely on wire racks. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar to serve. 

Makes 24 cookies. 

No comments:

www.flickr.com