April 22, 2007

California - part two

My dad, the kids and I headed off to Sonoma to visit my grandma for three days. We always have such a wonderful time there!

Let me just stop right now and tell you about my hotel. The hotel the kids and I stay at is SO cute - Sonoma Creek Inn. We have stayed there the last three years, and it is great! If you are ever visiting Sonoma, this is a wonderful place to stay. It is central the the Valley and wineries, it's clean and comfortable, everything is new, AND it's very affordable - especially for Sonoma. Check out this room:TOO cute! They had an air mattress that the kids fought over who got to sleep on it each night. Very family friendly place... They all have private patios with lovely little fountains that my kids couldn't keep their paws out of...

Enough about my hotel!

Dad and I dropped the kids off with my mom for the day, and he and I spend some time perusing the vast Napa Valley and all the loveliness it holds - wine! My two favorites were V. Sattui (California Winery of the Year - 2006) and Rutherford Ranch (little family owned winery - great Merlot).

We spent some time at the Mumm Winery taking in the museum collection of some 27 original Ansel Adams prints. Absolutely incredible. There was also some crazy Mustard Festival Photo contest pictures up, but we really loved the Ansel Adams.

After some wine tastings, decided to get some dessert. So it was on to Dean and Deluca Fine Market to get a yummy raspberry cinnamon roll and some kind of walnut/oatmeal/chocolate/wholesome goodness treat! It was delicious!

This was outside Dean and Deluca's - isn't it beautiful?!

After a wonderful day, Dad headed back to Vacaville, so we said our goodbyes!

The next day, we celebrated Madisyn's ACTUAL birthday - finally. She had a record three birthday parties this year - lucky girl!

She wanted to be a princess for the day - who doesn't!

She chose to go to the beach for her birthday. It was a windy, cool day, but still beautiful!

Point Reyes was so much fun. Maddie and I ran around on the beach for a long time, finally succumbing to the wind...

We topped off the evening with dinner at Mary's Pizza Shack! Maddie put away an entire plate of spaghetti AND managed a piece of cake! She picked out the decorations herself! When we asked Maddie what her favorite part of her birthday was, she said she dinner with Uncle Gary and Aunt Gayla (my aunt and uncle)! She really took to them. I am just sorry I don't have a picture!

Taylor was just looking really cute this particular morning. Such a little man.

The trip ended with a wonderful three day visit with my Grandma Mary. We discovered that Maddie looks just like my grandma did at age 5. We found a picture of her and compared it to Maddie - SO crazy how much alike they are...

Four Generations...

Our trip was wonderful, and now it is back to reality. Next year can't come soon enough!


No comments:

www.flickr.com